In 1946, Donald Healey established his Motor Company in Warwick, United Kingdom, with the purpose of designing and producing sporting cars. His company set out to design and develop a chassis and suspension to be combined with a Riley gearbox and a 4-cylinder 2443cc engine that produced over one hundred BHP. The race cars that Donald Healey produced in those days are generally known as Warwick Healeys but they are also referred to as pre-Austin cars or pre-BMC cars.
It wasn’t long before Healey’s cars became far too expensive for the market so he started with new designs that included parts bins mass-produced by major manufacturers. One of the outcomes was the classic Healey 100, the number 100 indicating that the car’s top speed was 100mph. In 1952, after the Earls Court Motor Exhibition, Donald Healey struck a deal with Austin’s Leonard Lord to manufacture Donald’s car and renamed it the Austin Healey 100. Later, the more famous and more powerful Austin Healey 3000 was to follow.